Close this search box.

News & Updates

Learn about sargassum (seaweed) on Miami-Dade County beaches
Published: April 3, 2023

Sargassum, also often referred to as seaweed, is a naturally occurring seaweed that floats freely on the ocean surface and is abundant in the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. It provides crucial habitat for many marine species, including endangered sea turtles, which, upon hatching on our beaches, make their way out to the sargassum to spend their juvenile years feeding and growing amongst the seaweed mats. It is also an important element in shoreline stability. Sargassum also provides nutrients to the shoreline and can replenish areas that suffer beach erosion due to hurricanes and storms, thereby helping to keep our shorelines resilient.

Over the past several years, South Florida and the Caribbean have experienced high levels of sargassum in coastal waters and on local beaches. Excessive amounts of sargassum in populated areas are causing concern worldwide.

Maintaining our beautiful beaches remains a priority for Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department. Clean-up crews operate on a daily basis to remove the buildup of seaweed on the water line. Information & frequently asked questions on sargassum, for your information, can be found by visiting:


Blue Land Crabs: Report Illegal Harvesting
Published: June 16, 2022

The rainy season is here and you may notice blue land crabs traveling on or near Old Cutler Road. Although open season to collect blue land crabs ends June 30 (closed season is July 1-October 31), it’s illegal to collect them during the following conditions, regardless if it is open season:

– By traps, bleach, or any other chemical solution
– Eggbearing
– Harvesting upon or from the right-of-way of any federal, state, or county-mainted road, whether paved or otherwise, or from any state park

Residents who observe a person unlawfully catching or taking Blue Land Crabs may report the incident to the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at 305-470-6863, Option 7, or you may report the violation through their website.

More information can be found on Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website here: 


Stone House 100th Anniversary
Published: June 17, 2021

In celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Stone House’s construction in 2022, we highlight the estate’s status as a national landmark, and its place as an anchor, and source of pride for the State and South Florida community. We are fortunate to have continued support and collaboration with our philanthropic partners, the Deering Estate Foundation, and the 100 Ladies of Deering in preserving and interpreting this treasured heritage site. The custom built Mediterranean Revival Stone House home was designed for Charles and Marion Deering by Phineas Paist, best known for his extensive work in Coral Gables, and inspired by Charles’ majestic Spanish properties, Maricel and Tamarit.

The Stone House represents an architectural tapestry of the world travels, intellectual and philosophical interests and ideas of Charles Deering. In June of 1922, Deering entered into an agreement for the construction of the Stone House with Sandquist & Snow, Inc., the firm working under the direction of architect Phineas E. Paist. Charles likely became familiar with Paist in 1916, when he worked as an associate architect to Paul Chalfin in building the Villa Vizcaya, James Deering’s palatial residence in Florida. The construction of the Stone House took approximately 11 months to complete between 1922 and early 1923. An Otis elevator in the Stone House was one of the first private residence elevators to be installed in South Florida. The Stone House’s construction includes many recognizable architectural references of the popular Mediterranean Revival style (1917-1930s) established throughout the United States in the 1920s and 30s. Stylistic elements include stucco walls, red tile roofs, wrought iron grilles and railings, oolitic limestone, ceramic tile, arcaded walkways; and most notably, a carefully selected color palette: yellows, ochre, amber and tinted stucco reflecting tonalities warmed by the sun overtime.

The walls of the Stone House are 18-inch-thick reinforced concrete covered in a limestone veneer to imitate the rugged, exposed stone of Tamarit, a property Charles owned in Spain. Additional architectural elements of note include handmade Cuban barrel clay tiles, antique wrought iron window grilles, bronze and copper-clad doors and hand-carved columns with capitals depicting mainly botanical and animal motifs, as well as personalized family iconography. Throughout the year, the Deering Estate will be celebrating the 100-year anniversary of the Stone House with several events and programs. We will be inviting guests to speak about the significance of the Stone House and Mediterranean Revival Style and our ongoing historic preservation efforts.

Check out this video highlighting the Stone House Centennial.

Learn more in the Miami’s Community Newspapers commemorative issue featuring the 100th anniversary of the Stone House.


Deering Estate App-based Audio Tour is Now Available
Published: June 7, 2021

The Deering Estate is proud to launch an in-depth, app-based audio tour available now on Cloudguide for only $2.

CloudGuide is the leading global sightseeing app, providing incredible interactive visitor experiences for museums and cultural heritage sites across the world. More than 1200 sites in 26 countries use CloudGuide to provide effective, user-friendly online tours of their monuments, museums and heritage sites.

Download CloudGuide from the App Store or Google Play today!  Purchase your audio tour through the app, and download the audio tour directly to your device. It is recommended that listeners download the audio tour (rather than stream) prior to entering the Historic Museum Homes, since WiFi,  cellular, & carrier service is very limited indoors.

Code is 1 time use, and 1 code per device.  Don’t forget to bring your headphones or ear buds! 


Peoples Dock Has Reopened (4/29/2021)
Published: April 22, 2021

At 10 a.m. on Thursday, April 29, 2021, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava lead the official ribbon-cutting for the newly reconstructed People’s Dock. The Mayor was joined by Miami-Dade County District 8 Commissioner Danielle Cohen Higgins, Miami-Dade County Parks Director Maria I. Nardi, and representatives from Deering Estate and Deering Estate Foundation.

The reconstruction project included the replacement of the 146 square foot rigid pier, 240 square foot floating dock and 183 square foot gangway. The existing concrete piles sub-structure was retained and reutilized for the new dock.

The project scope was to restore the dock structure, which was damaged and partially destroyed during Hurricane Irma in 2017, maintaining the same footprint and basic design, and retaining parts of the structure deemed safe and sound, which was the case for the concrete piles sub-structure.

The former floating dock structure was concrete. The new dock design consists of an aluminum frame with decking and aluminum grating decking. Floatation is provided by polyethylene floats. The aluminum dock system did not require heavy equipment and is more economical than a concrete float system. Aluminum frame systems are more flexible than concrete floats, and withstand storm surge and waves better than concrete floats.

Miami-Dade Parks completed the project with design consultant Moffatt & Nichol, Inc. and construction contractor D’Catasus Inc.

The project cost was approximately $400,976. Funding was provided by FEMA.

“I am thrilled to be part of the official reopening of the People’s Dock at Deering Estate – a great Hurricane Irma recovery milestone,” said Mayor Daniella Levine Cava. “This dock has meant so much, to so many in Miami-Dade over the last century. Thanks to the Parks Department and FEMA, this historic jewel will now re-open as a popular launch spot for paddlers and fishing.”

Commissioner Cohen Higgins said, “Deering Estate holds a special place in the hearts of the residents of District 8 and all of South Dade. Bringing life to our public green spaces is essential to preserving Miami-Dade’s natural beauty and improving the quality of life for the families of District 8. I applaud Miami-Dade Parks and Mayor Levine Cava for repairing the People’s Dock. The improved Dock will better serve residents and visitors by allowing enhanced access to the waterfront, so we can all enjoy the bay, which is part of what makes our community so special.”

Parks Director Nardi added, “This project has brought new life to Deering’s People’s Dock. It is a great example of how the Miami-Dade County Parks system provides public access to our waterfront and implements resiliency adaptations for preservation, education and stewardship.”


New Registration System, Park Link, Beginning November 9, 2020
Published: Oct. 27, 2020

The Deering Estate has moved to Park Link, an online and user-friendly registration system for our programs, classes, and events. 

All registrations, tickets, and payments require a new Account in Park Link, even if you had a Account with us in the past. To help make this transition smooth, please create your household account today by clicking here.


Award-Winning Film “On This Land, The Charles Deering Estate” Now Available in Spanish for Global Outreach
Published: August 19, 2019

Ten thousand years of history just became available to enjoy from any connected device. Available to view at no charge from the 100 Ladies of Deering and Deering Estate Foundation websites, the award-winning documentary film, On This Land, The Charles Deering Estate is now available in Spanish and English. Funded by the 100 Ladies of Deering, a philanthropic circle of the Deering Estate Foundation, the film was written by author and preservationist Becky Roper Matkov and produced by Emmy-Award-winning director Carl Kesser. Perfect as a tool for online learning, this 27-minute documentary can be presented in Spanish or English, with or without subtitles, to support language, history, culture, preservation, art and architecture fields of study.

Since its premiere in 2017, On This Land, The Charles Deering Estate has been aired on Public Television and has been a featured presentation at many gatherings of civic groups and chambers of commerce. It has been honored by the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation and Dade Heritage Trust and has garnered prestigious media awards, including two Telly Awards, given for excellence in video and television across all screens, two Communicator Awards for History and Biography, and a Davey Award, for excellence as a production deriving “strength from big ideas rather than stratospheric budgets.”

With the intent of expanding the film’s outreach to a global audience and making the film more accessible to Spanish speaking audiences, the 100 Ladies of Deering funded a Spanish language version of the film, now available online. The Spanish version of the film premiered with a showing at the Palau de Maricel Museum, in Sitges, Spain, a property once owned by Charles Deering.

“In addition to being available through our website, Vimeo and YouTube, we are delighted to be able to offer DVDs containing both English and Spanish versions, with optional closed captions in each language,” says Becky Roper Matkov, president of the Deering Estate Foundation Board. “We hope this will be a valuable resource locally for school groups and Spanish-speaking visitors and will help broaden the recognition of the Deering Estate internationally.”

Contact the Deering Estate Foundation office to obtain a DVD or request more information on presentations, email [email protected].


Flight Into Egypt’s Permanent Exhibit Opens to Public Oct. 19, 2019
Published: August 19, 2019

The 100 Ladies of Deering, together with The Deering Estate Foundation, are proud to present two rare, centuries-old stained-glass panels known as the “Flight into Egypt,” opening to the public Saturday, October 19th. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to view these beautifully preserved pieces here at the Deering Estate.

This exhibit features part of Charles Deering’s collection recorded in the 1924 inventory of gifts to his daughters. Two pre-17th century works of art originally displayed in the entrance hall in the Stone House depict variations of traditional flight into Egypt motif, the holy family’s journey to escape the violence in their homeland from King Herod. During the Reformation period (1517-1648), some stained-glass pieces were intentionally destroyed. Other losses were sustained during WWI. Important antique glass panels like these are now generally found only in private collections and major museums.

After years of planning, restoration recently began thanks to the 100 Ladies of Deering, a philanthropic circle of The Deering Estate Foundation, who led the restoration efforts. The efforts began with lead gifts from two private donors, along with a matching gift provided by The Charles Deering McCormick Fund. By restoring these treasures and presenting them for public display, we will be able to give rare access to art of this time period, exhibited fully restored, in the same building they originally hung almost 100 years ago.


Deering Estate Foundation members experience Charles Deering’s lasting European legacy
Published: 5/15/2019

The Deering Estate Foundation’s recent fundraising and “friend-building” cruise to Portugal and Spain was a truly enriching and rewarding experience — socially, culturally, educationally, and gastronomically.

31 adventure-seeking Foundation members boarded the Azamara Pursuit in Lisbon and sailed along the Atlantic coast and up the Guadalquivir River to Sevilla, arriving at night beneath the bright lights of the iconic Giralda Bell Tower (the inspiration for Miami’s Biltmore Hotel and Freedom Tower). We toured the breathtaking Alcazar Royal Palace, the palace of the Duchess, and the Plaza de España, built for the 1929 Ibero-American Exposition World’s Fair.

We then sailed past the Rock of Gibraltar, stopping briefly in Malaga and Almeria, and traveled by bus through desert and snow-covered mountains to Granada to see the Alhambra, a world heritage site. Originally built as an Islamic palace in the 1300s, the Alhambra became the Christian court of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand after the “Reconquista” in 1492. It was here that Christopher Columbus received his endorsement to sail to America.

Our next port was Valencia, where we were treated to a “Cirque du Soleil” style performance in the remarkable City of Arts and Sciences and Opera House complex, designed by architect Santiago Calatrava. In Palma de Mallorca, some toured a medieval fortress and magnificent cathedral, while others opted for cave adventures or mountain hiking. Later, after docking in Barcelona, our group traveled by van to Sitges.

In Sitges, Vinyet Panyella (recently retired director of the Museu de Maricel) gave us an in-depth tour of the museum, which was constructed from 1909 to 1921 to serve as a summer residence and art gallery for Charles Deering. The tour ended with a champagne toast on the museum’s rooftop, the Cloisters.

After a delicious Catalan lunch at the historic La Nansa restaurant, our group reconvened in the opulent Palau de Maricel for a choral performance and reception with city officials and the public. Following official opening remarks, we presented proclamations to the town of Sitges and the Maricel Museum from the Village of Palmetto Bay, signed by Mayor Karyn Cunningham. It was a thrill to share the new Spanish language version of our award-winning documentary On This Land, The Charles Deering Estate (a project of The 100 Ladies of Deering, a philanthropic circle of the Deering Estate Foundation) with an international audience. In turn, the Maricel Museum screened its own recent film about the Charles Deering art collection, created as part of the museum’s centennial.

The following day’s excursion took us by bus to Tarragona, another world heritage site. While some embarked on an extensive tour of the Roman ruins, others visited the Procession of the Palms and the Palm Sunday mass at the magnificent Catedral de Tarragona, to which Charles Deering had donated a pipe organ.

Following a walkthrough of the historic town of Tarragona and a luncheon at a countryside inn, we reached the holy grail: Tamarit Castle. Charles Deering purchased the castle in 1917, and his family maintained ownership of it long after his death in 1927. Perched high on a cliff overlooking the sea, Tamarit is a fairytale setting – and, as such, now acts as a private wedding venue.

As the day came to a close, we returned to Sitges to visit the community hospital funded by Charles Deering in 1912. The handsome building features a large portrait of Charles Deering in the boardroom, which was once the operating room. The hospital owns an adjoining Malvasian grape vineyard and produces a renowned wine, which we gladly sampled in the hospital’s newly built wine tasting museum.

Witnessing Charles Deering’s Spanish legacy in person — and realizing the impact he continues to have in Sitges and beyond – was truly inspirational, motivating us more than ever to preserve and promote his legacy at the Deering Estate.

Special thanks to Holly Orzechowicz at The Store for Travel and to Maria and Dave McDonald for assistance in planning this global excursion. We also owe a huge debt of gratitude to Vinyet Panyella, whose graciousness, generosity, and resourcefulness made our visits to Sitges, Tarragona, and Tamarit so extraordinary.

Cruise attendees included Dave and Maria McDonald, Becky and Tom Matkov, Dave and Beth Marley, Michael and Helen Cornely, Eric and Lori Haas and daughters Taylor Haas and Meghan Hetfield, Sandy McCarthy, Rita Casagrande, Tom and Suzanne Neider, Pam Mullins and Walter Flores, Suzuyo and John Fox, Jo Szaro, Donna Golik, Larry and Deborah Kavanaugh, Annette DeStefanis, Teresa Agress, Cheryl Parsel, Jim and Kimberly Moir, and Mary and John Pettit.